Monday, June 18, 2012

Week Four: Kind of a Bore


Well, I knew this would be coming at some point. The slow week finally hit. Not that I don’t have stuff to do because I do, it’s just that a lot of computer work makes the day go by extremely slow. I have been working a lot on creating Olioboards for our pinterest page as well as our website. They are coming up with a new plan here to do e-design work so these boards will be a part of that. You would think it would be pretty easy to pull stuff together for a board, but it takes a really long time. Scott wants me to use products and manufacturers we sell and use so that limits what I can pull from and also means I have to look through their catalogs/website to create my design and put the images on a board. That has been a challenge for me this week.

The highlight of my week would have to be Thursday afternoon. Scott took me to a client’s house (who happened to live almost right behind where my sister lived up until last summer) in the Beaverdale district of Des Moines. Beaverdale is a nice area with really charming, old (and tiny!) homes. This client is one of Scott’s good friends and he has wanted to remodel her living room for a long time. He finally talked her into it and the first time she really saw it all together was Thursday, so it was like a big reveal. From what I understand, she got a new fireplace/mantel, reclining chair, coffee table, end table, bookshelves, pendent light, accessories, and paint. She was so happy when she saw it all, there were tears. To change the way someone feels about their home, one of the dearest places to them, is amazing! She was so excited. Scott said afterward that it’s what the job is all about.

Something I love about this place is the ability to work with different people. Everyone kind of takes me under their wing; it has really made this a great experience for me. Friday I ran a few errands with Megan including running downtown to Vets Auditorium. There was a convention and one of the booths rented furniture for their seating. It was actually strange because I heard my name called and it ended up being a girl about four years older than me from high school whose organization was putting on the convention. I guess it goes to show that you never know when you’ll reconnect with someone. The power of networking is amazing.  Speaking of networking, I attended another event with the Greater Des Moines Partnership intern series and I ended up winning a lunch with 5 other interns and Jay Byers, CEO of the GDM Partnership! I’m not sure when that will be but that will be awesome. They are striving to get us connected with CEOs from the Des Moines area which is amazing. Granted, most of the interns are corporate business-focused but I’m sure I could still learn plenty from it. Most are interning at Wells Fargo or Principal and then a few other larger corporations sprinkled about. But once again, I did reconnect with a friend from Iowa State who just started interning at Wells Fargo last week. Either way, I am grateful for the experiences that will be had.

In reference to my future plans, one position I am looking at is actually as a baker at the Cedar Falls Hy-vee. If you happen to hear of any design positions in the Cedar Valley please let me know; my goal is to have both.  The future is a scary and exciting place…I can’t wait to see what it brings!



Just for fun:
I went home this weekend and my mom and I went to the humane society. I wish I could adopt them all! 
And I made this for Father’s Day!

I also think I may have found my book for my final project! I’m excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment