Friday, June 8, 2012

Week Three:Inspirations & Aspirations



Wow- already done with week three! I thought this week would go by a little slower considering we had a short week last week but it flew by all the same. This week has been a lot of computer work which surprisingly hasn’t given me a headache yet! I’ve been showing the ISU interns how to use SketchUp, which is pretty satisfying. :) It’s crazy to think they haven’t even really dabbled in it, let alone, know it enough to do a project. It is pretty cool to work with girls from another school and to hear about the differences in our programs. This week I was able to sit in on my first rep meeting which was with a guy from Top Knobs. He brought in a few boards and catalogs to show us since we carry their lines and it was nice to be able to hear the questions the designers asked him. We also went to see Rachel’s furniture to see what we could use in the home show and what we need to order. Since it’s her actual house and not just a model home, she is planning on buying a few new items. One thing that is hard to deal with is the fact that she says they are already $20,000 over budget without purchasing any furniture. This makes it hard for us to get her new things.

I often think of random design-y things as I go about my day and one of Friday’s thoughts were about how awesome it would be to be a set designer for movies. I have seen so many romantic comedies where I remember the interiors more than the actual plot! It started off on my drive to work with me picturing how I would design my apartment if I had money to do so and I immediately scanned through the different styles I’ve seen in movies. Granted, most of these interiors are extravagant apartments in large cities that are not economically feasible for the character’s occupation but I can dream right?

A few of my favorites include:

Ps. I love you


What’s Your Number?




(LOVE her artist nook!)


The Vow

This might be my favorite room- the BOOKS!! 



How amazing would it be to have a separate garage purely designated for creativity? If only we were all so lucky.

There are others that don’t necessarily have any good images on the internet, but they are definitely envy-worthy.

Anyway, this is one of the many design thoughts I’ve had this week. If it’s possible, maybe I could create my dream apartment for my 20-hour project. I’m still trying to think up ideas for that. I was going to do the chair-design but I’m not feeling too passionate about it at the moment. I think it would be an interesting research project to see how much a person’s style costs. I would approach it by going in without a budget and seeing how much it would cost in the end to have my dream apartment; I think I could make a pretty cool presentation out of it.

Although nothing overly-exciting happened this week, I’m still learning lots! I’ve also been keeping an eye on the job market – it will be here before I know it. I’m currently facing the tough decision of going straight into I.D. or pursuing the pastry arts side of life I am also passionate about. I’m trying to decide whether to do schooling for that or just apprenticeship-like work where I can get hands-on experience just like this internship. This is such a necessity if I ever want to open my own bakery. The hardest decision I’m facing is whether it makes more sense to do it now when I have a fresh start (no school, no real job) or if it would look bad to future employers that I took a break from I.D. if and when I go back to it later. I’m trying to be able to do both at the same time but it’s hard enough to get one job, let alone two! :) Any input you have would be appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment