Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Week Five: It's time to Dive (Lake house)


I can’t believe the internship is already over halfway completed! I have had quite a few experiences this week. I will start with the Dean Residence.

Scenario: Scott’s brother and his wife are building a new home in Cedar Falls. This project was given to Rachel, the other intern who, due to personality conflicts with Scott no longer works here. Now I am working on the project by myself and all I really knew about it was that they were building new and had a LOT of Victorian antiques they wanted to use. As I’m sure this is a problem most designers face at some point or another, this is not my style at all. I am a fan of the modern Victorian style that has become popular in recent years, but definitely not the traditional Victorian.

I reached a point of frustration when creating the boards because I only had the information that was given to me and nothing else. In order to really grasp what the Dean’s wanted, I felt I needed to talk to them myself. Communication is so important and it was definitely proven in this case! My original intentions were only to get the measurements of their existing furniture they wanted to use but I decided to just start from the beginning with them since I am now the person working on their home. I wrote up an email telling them what I knew of their situation (building new/Victorian) and I asked them what their needs were as far as designing (I didn’t even know what design help they wanted! Everything vs. just furniture layouts etc.), their budget, timeline, if they considered themselves quick decision makers, if they’d ever worked with a designer before, and the style they were going for. Her responses helped SO much. It turns out they didn’t want Victorian at all, but were trying to move away from it while still using a few pieces of their traditional furniture. A lesson I learned is how much easier it is to just be in direct communication vs. hearing it from someone else. Also, that email is very useful because then I have a record of it and I don’t have to try to remember every detail or try to scribble it down if we were to talk on the phone. I also think it helped her feel comfortable with me and know I want to help make things go as smoothly as possible.

Wednesday was a big learning day as well. Scott shut down the office and had us all come out to help at his lake house that he is getting ready for their tour this weekend. I thought this would be a lot of cleaning and housework but I ended up learning how to do a lot! I got to make some valences (albeit ugly ones, in my opinion) for his lower level windows. It was a lot of fun and although they aren’t my taste, it really shows how creativity can get you some interesting results. Scott seems to always have a million ideas running through his head and even though he has a different style than I do, his creativity is definitely VERY inspiring!



I also learned how to create a distressed wood look on some furniture. He has some unfinished dresser drawers that needed distressed. First, I took a hammer to them, then a blow torch to get some dark spots, then a couple coats of stain and varnish. It turned out really cool! It’s amazing how much money one can save by doing the work themselves.



Images from his lake house:








I was also fortunate enough to be picked in a drawing for lunch with Jay Byers and Mary Bontrager, CEO and Vice President of the Greater Des Moines Partnership. This was a great experience in which I found out Mary also graduated from UNI with an interior design degree and marketing! Not only was that a breath of fresh air because everyone in this intern program seems to be corporate- based, but she actually knew a little about the DSM design scene. It was mostly commercial, but it was nice to have something to talk about. She also said a lady in their office has a daughter that works for RDG. Networking, networking, networking…


No comments:

Post a Comment